Balsa Wood Sculptures

"TRIBUTARIES" 3'' x 3'' x 6'' balsa wood, wood glue, straight pins

"PUMPJACK" 3'' x 4'' x 4'' balsa wood, wood glue, straight pins, chalk pastel, paper, hot glue, masking tape

 For this project, I wanted my pieces to convey a sense of peculiarity in their unusual forms and juxtapositions of composition. My "TRIBUTARIES" piece is intended to be semi representational of the patterns of rivers and streams when viewed from above. I took that natural quality and placed it on a highly geometric pedestal which to me creates an intriguing contrast. My piece entitled, "PUMPJACK" is inspired by the large horse head oil wells used to remove crude oil from deep within the earth. The sharp paper form at the end of the tape is meant to symbolize a harsh and abrasive effects of oil production on the earth. The base is smooth and represents the untouched ground which has a dark ooze bleeding over of it, taking away its innocence.



Comments

Popular Posts